2021 AGM and Your 2022 Board of Directors
Posted 6 months ago on · Permalink
Our Board of Directors: Overview
The Ajax-Pickering Board of Trade (APBOT), overseen by its Board of Directors, continues its long history of successfully empowering the business community through networking, education, and advocacy.
The APBOT’s Board of Directors represents a cross-section of businesses and organizations in the community. Serving on the APBOT’s Board of Directors is considered an honour and an excellent opportunity to assist the APBOT in defining and reaching its objectives. All Directors are expected to commit substantial time and effort to give the proper attention to their responsibilities, which include attending our Board of Director meetings, attending multiple APBOT events, and being active in one or more APBOT committees. Further, all Directors are expected to work constructively and harmoniously with the Board of Directors, staff, members, and volunteers. We are proud to have many leaders in the community serve on our Board of Directors.
Our Board of Directors: Election of the Slate
To ensure we have an ideal Board of Directors, it is important that we have diverse representation, skills, and abilities. In particular, it is ideal to have diversity in regard to:
- Geographic location (to ensure equal representation of both Ajax and Pickering)
- Industry and organizational size
- Skills and experience (specifically legal and HR)
- Ability to contribute (i.e. support membership initiatives, support advocacy initiatives, etc.)
Our Board of Directors is elected each year, by way of a slate proposed by the Board Development Committee. The Board Development Committee is comprised of two officers, the chair of the Governance Committee, the Executive Director, and up to three other members, all of whom were approved by a majority vote of APBOT Council.
Pursuant to our bylaws, each member is entitled to one vote in regard to the slate proposed by the Board Development Committee. You may either vote to support the entire slate OR you may vote to oppose the entire slate. If the slate is approved, then all those on the slate will make up the 2022 Board of Directors. If the slate is not approved, then an election will occur on an individual director basis. After the election of the 2022 Board of Directors, the officers of the Board of Directors will be elected.
For the 2022 Board of Directors, the Board Development Committee has recommended the following current directors as returning directors for the slate:
- Talia Lane, Matheis Financial Group – returning
- Analiese St. Aubin, Ontario Power Generation – returning
- Tracy Paterson, Ajax Pickering Hospital Foundation – returning
- Glen McFarland, McGovern Hurley LLP – returning
- Melanie Walls, Elexicon Energy Inc. – returning
- Stephen Barry, Remax Commercial – returning
- Jessica Rhynas, Hilton Garden Inn Toronto/Ajax – returning
- Pauline Smiley, Livewell Pathway Healthcare Services – returning
- Mohamed Bachani, Unique Accounting Services – returning
- Mike Taylor, Lambda Networks – returning
Regarding the additional four open spots, for the 2022 Board of Directors, the Board Development Committee has approved the following new directors for the slate:
- Dinesh Kumar, Canadian Institute of Financial Planners – recommended by Board Development Committee
- Leanne Paty, R&G Auto – recommended by Board Development Committee
- Vithusan Ramachandran, Ramachandran Law – recommended by Board Development Committee
- Vanessa Shelley, Jelcore Enterprises Inc. – recommended by Board Development Committee
We are also pleased to continue to have our municipal advisors from the Town of Ajax and the City of Pickering.
In order to vote on the slate, you may vote during the AGM, you may vote by proxy at the AGM, or you may submit a ballot by way of email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For your email ballot to count, you must send your email on or before 11 a.m. Dec. 8, 2021. If the slate is not approved by the members, an election will occur at the AGM regarding individual directors.
If you wish to proxy your vote to another member, you may do so by:
- Completing the proxy form and emailing it to email@example.com before 11:00 a.m. on December 8, 2021.
The downloadable proxy form is available HERE.
If you wish to vote prior to the AGM, you may do so by:
- Completing the ballot and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org before 11:00 a.m. on December 8, 2021.
The downloadable ballot is available HERE.
Our AGM Package
The full APBOT 2021 AGM package is available HERE.